Plex is a tool to view any multimedia content, its mission is to convert a computer into a kind of server to enjoy the content from any other device. It can be a very useful tool, because it recognizes all the multimedia files that you have hosted in the source folder, and organizes them with different sections.
If you want to enjoy all these advantages without using Plex you should know that nowadays there are different options to get the most out of your multimedia content. In Gamerslance we are going to list the 5 best alternatives to Plex.
The 5 best alternatives to Plex
From Gamerslance we present you a list designed by our experts about the 5 best alternatives to Plex.
Although initially Mezzmo was a paid service, nowadays this alternative can be used and downloaded in its basic version for free. Its fundamental use is as a remote application to retrieve content that is stored on the local Mezzmo media server from different Android devices.
The advantages of Mezzmo:
- It has multi-user capability.
- It is free in its basic version.
- Android application with its own media server.
- Easy to install and use.
Reviews of Mezzmo: [Average rating 4'7/5]
Very good tool. -Oscar.
Free features. -Alba.
I like it very much. -Elena.
One of the main features of MediaPortal is the support of TV cards and the option associated with this that allows you to watch TV through the media center. In addition, this alternative to Plex is completely free and combines analogue, online and TV radio stations in a single interface, as well as other information services such as news articles or weather information.
The advantages of MediaPortal:
- With standard support for common TV cards.
- Offers more services like news.
- Allows radio and TV.
- With changeable user interface.
Reviews of MediaPortal: [Average rating 4'6/5]
- Great for watching TV. -Jon.
- Very funny. -Toni.
- I love it. -Maria.
This is an open source media center that is very easy to use. Unlike other alternatives, Stremio focuses a lot on the organization of video content, as well as video-on-demand services. In other words, it competes not only with Plex, but also with major content platforms such as Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.
The advantages of Stremio:
- Perfect for video content, series and movies.
- It is very easy to use.
- It is totally free.
- It has a calendar to keep track of the content watched.
Reviews of Stremio: [Average rating 4'7/5].
- Very good for content. -Laura.
- To watch movies. -Carles.
- With calendar to follow the series. -Iván.
This excellent alternative to Plex was initially a media player designed for the Microsoft Xbox console. In fact, this was the precursor of what we now know as Plex and the functions it offers are the same. It allows you to conveniently organize all your media content in a library and play it through the user interface. In addition, it supports many file types such as image, audio and video.
The advantages of Kodi:
- It can be used with less powerful hardware such as Raspberry Pi.
- It allows you to organize and play all types of content.
- It is platform independent.
- It is very well developed.
Kodi reviews: [Average rating 4'6/5].
- With a lot of compatibility. -Ana.
- Works well. -Claudia.
- I use it all the time. -Damián.
Universal Media Server
This platform is a later version of PS3 Media Server and is another interesting alternative to Plex. The software has a wide range of support (DNLA and UPnP), which means that music, videos and images can be easily transferred to all devices with these features. In addition, it works on Windows, Linux and macOS with different versions.
The advantages of Universal Media Server:
- It has a wide range of device support.
- It's very easy to use.
- It's compatible with Windows, Linux and macOS.
- It allows a good organization.
Reviews of Universal Media Server: [Average rating 4'8/5]
- Great tool. -Angel.
- Very fun. -Fernando.
- Works on all devices. -Susana.